Monday, July 26, 2010

Haven't yet learned the Cantonese word for pain

But I will. Had my dental appointment today. For the first time in 8 years. Yes, 8 years. I'll let that one sink in a bit. Here I am a 29(!!!) year old professional woman who has insurance and I have avoided the dentist like the plague (or bad breath).
After researching on my insurance website for the perfect dentist, and by researching I mean looking for the one with the funniest name, I finally settled for the one that answered the phone. I was going to Chinatown, so I had to prepare. I downloaded a couple of podcasts designed to teach you Cantonese. I was now prepared if anyone said "hello" "thank you" "good bye" and could threaten to call the police on them. I was ready. Turns out all my research was for nought, no one needed the police called on them.

Remember when I said it had been 8 years since my last dental appointment? Well this was apparently a concern of my Dentist Dr. L. I started to explain that after undergrad I was no longer on my parents insurance, and then I moved and got insurance. Mid-sentence I told him I had no excuse. We discussed Peace Corps and he questioned whether he had to take my wisdom teeth out. I started to like the guy, he seemed as against pulling those things out as I am. It should be said I only had a small anxiety attack when he was doing the exam and said "hmm, that's interesting." Due to his fingers and other incidents in my mouth I was not able to respond "Good or Bad interesting!?!". It turns out he found my baby teeth interesting, before telling me at some point in my life they will fall out. Long story short, I only had one cavity which I will go back in a couple of weeks to fill and have to get a mouth guard due to possibly grinding my teeth in my sleep. And he says I don't have to get my wisdom teeth taken out. Xie Xie.

So now I only have the medical to freak me out and provide numerous anxiety attacks (which is counterproductive to a good health screen).

Side note I have been in a very crafty mood. I discovered how to make paper beads so my apartment is covered in strips of paper. Also working on another blanket. But if one is to look at my yarn pile, there are a lot of unfinished projects laying around.

No comments:

Post a Comment