Monday, February 14, 2011

Yummy stuff

I just made chili. After debating between white chili and "normal" chili I decided on "normal." I started the process of making it yesterday after a trip to Trader Joe's, with the intention of making white chili. But the shelves were empty. LIterally there were no onions, fruits and very few veggies. Plus the only chicken they had was thigh meat. To top that off, the line wrapped around 2 times. People were waiting for an hour to check out. I looked around and walked out. So today I went to my neighborhood grocery store and stocked up on all things chili. I had decided to marry to different recipes, one from Food Network and the other from the Joy of Cooking.

As follows:

1 lb beef chuck
1 lb ground beef
2 cans kidney beans
2 onions
1 green pepper
4 cloves of garlic
2 1/2 T of chili powder
1 cup of Burgandy wine (cheap is what I used)
dash of cumin, paprika, salt and pepper
5 jalapenos
Cayenne pepper
48 oz can of crushed tomatoes
2 tsp cocoa powder

Dice beef chuck and place in ziplock baggie with salt and pepper, a couple of shakes of chili powder, a bit of olive oil and the wine. Let marinate for however long you want. I went for 4 hours.

Cook (not pouring the wine mix in the pan, but some of it will come out. this is good) b. chuck until just done. Remove from pan and cook ground beef. I used a slow cooker because I bought it 3 years ago and have never used it, but can be made in a normal pot. Transfer meats to your choice of cooking thingy. Add tomatoes and beans. Add spices (not garlic).

Next dice and saute the onions, garlic, green pepper and 3 of the jalapenos. Add to meat mix. Cut up last 2 jalapenos and add to pot. If using a slow cooker place on low for about 6 hours. If using normal pot, medium low for one hour. Season to taste. Top with monterrey jack cheese, more jalapenos, and crackers.

Let me say, it turned out great! I would probably marinate longer next time. But I was anxious to make this.

So there we have it, my recipe for the day. And you thought you were getting some exciting story.

No comments:

Post a Comment