Monday, November 8, 2010

Don't think they know me

Woke up this morning, looked out the window. It is sleeting. I don't know how anyone else reacted to this, but my first thought was "WTF (in reality I actually said the whole thing), it's sleeting!" This was followed by the thought "It's not even Thanksgiving, my God by the time it is really winter NYC is going to be covered in a blizzard." The next thought was "I'm hungry." So I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

I volunteer on Monday's at GMHC (Gay Mens Health Crisis, a wonderful agency that serves the HIV/AIDs population. It is filled with wonderful and caring people; clients, staff and volunteers alike. It is also one of the first and biggest of its kind. So if you have come into some money and want to donate to a great cause, check them out). I help out in the kitchen, mainly serving food and talking with the guys. I really love volunteering there, even though I don't think anyone really knows my name. Everyone just calls me sweetie. This causes some anxiety in that if someone calls verifying my volunteer experience, if they don't specifically ask for the curly haired female who works on Mondays no one will know it is me. This is why I talk in the third person and introduce myself to everyone every chance I get. I'm growing on them, even if they think I am weird.

Taking some French lessons in hopes it will help me be a better candidate for Peace Corps. So far I can say hello, goodbye, good evening, good-night, good morning, thank you, please, go to hell and can count to 100. oh, and chocolate. But that I learned from working in the hostel. The french guests wanted everything chocolate so I picked up on that word quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment